November 2, 2009

Personal Goals For November

My personal goals for the month of November are the following:

1 – Lose 2 pounds
2 – Run a minimum of 3 days per week
3 – Keep a daily record of what I eat (3 out of 7 days per week).
4 – Strength train 2 days per week

Losing weight slowly is the only true way to keep the weight off. You have all seen and read about this diet program and that diet program that will help you lose 10 pounds in one week. All that you really lose is water weight and you have not changed your eating habits and eventually you will put the weight back on. Dieting should be for life, you are making lifestyle changes. Losing weight slowly, ½ to 2 pounds per week will help you make the changes to your lifestyle and keep it off for good. If you are really heavy you can lose weight a little bit faster but not much. I would like to lose about 2 pounds this month and keep it off. If this happens I will re-focus for December for another 2 pounds and keep that up until I am at my personal goal weight.

Another goal to is to strength train 2 days per week. Muscle burns more calories than fat as well. I want to firm everything up. I want no more jiggle in my thighs, butt or arms. My stomach is still not the same after having 2 kids (I am sure many of you feel the same way as well). I want to get rid of my belly.

I have been training for a marathon for the last year and at this point it looks like I will not be able to do one until next spring but I want to keep the shape that I am in so that I will not have to start over from scratch next spring. I plan on doing one super long run once a month (12-14 miles) and shorter long runs of 8-10 miles.

Finally one of the biggest keys to losing weight is to write it down. We forget all of the little things we eat, a piece of candy at the bank, 5 bites of your child’s dinner, the one bite of cake, etc… If you write it down you will realize that you are eating more than you should be. I will be keeping a food journal and calorie intake journal at least 4 of 7 days each week. I could try for 7 but let’s face it I have been horrible about this in the past, one step at a time!

On Mondays this month I am going to post my progress in regards to these goals. Now it is your turn, what are your goals this month. Leave a comment here or blog about and then leave me a comment with a link to your blog and I will link those so everyone will be able to read about them.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Good luck to you. I agree writing down what you eat really helps because everytime I think about putting anything in my mouth I think I will have to write it down!

Heidi said...

I need to tone everything up also, last month I got sick, and completely stopped doing my elliptical exercise machine! I had been doing it 3 times a week for anywhere from 20 min to 30 min. each time. I am feeling motivated now and will start today getting back in my routine.