May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day and 17 Mile Run

I told Joe that the only thing I wanted for Mother's Day was to go for a super long run. So around 8:30 in the morning I headed out for 17 miles. It was great and the weather was perfect. I headed for the hill behind Western (as I call it since it does not have a name) to try out a new trail I found the other day. Behind Western State College is a peak called Signal Peak. It is about 14ish miles round trip from my house. Well, this new trail took me towards Signal Peak and I knew that mileage wise I could do it and still be at or under 17 miles. The closer I got to the peak I saw how the trail got to Signal Peak. Instead of the nice mellow up I was doing it turned into a straight up! I saw that and said, nope I can find another way to get the miles in. It was a super steep hill and I still had over 8 miles left to run. So I headed back down and around and eventually home. The last two miles were hard and I struggled to get them done but I did it. 17 miles in 3 hours and 23 minutes, pace 11:59.


The rest of my Mother's Day was great. I came home from my run to a quiet, clean and happy house. We went out to lunch and then took Mikayla climbing at the rec center. She has to be 5 to rock climb at the rec center, and she just turned 5 on Friday. My baby is now 5 - how on earth did that happen! After rock climbing and playing at the park we headed home where I was able to take a short nap and spend the rest of the day relaxing with my family. It was a perfect Mother's Day. The only other Mother's Day that I have had so far that beat this one was the one 5 years ago when I brought Mikayla home from the hospital.

No comments: