April 29, 2009

Frogs Croaking, Birds Chirping, Streams Trickling

Today I headed out for my one mile run to see how my foot would handle it. My foot did great and the run felt wonderful. It was great to get that heart pumping again.

In Gunnison there are ditches everywhere. These ditches carry water from the rivers to the ranchers hay fields for irrigation. (The Island where our Red House is located is created in part by these large ditches. In the City of Gunnison there are much smaller ditches (maybe 1 foot across and 1 foot deep versus 4 to 5 feet wide and 4 to 5 feet deep) running in your front or back yards parallel to the street. When the City turns the ditches on you can water your lawn from this water for free.

The reason I am telling you about our ditches is that this is time of year when they turn them on and some of them are flowing. The run I went on today is a trail that is only a few blocks from my house and I have never run it this time of the year. I had water flowing on both sides of the trail and I could hear the frogs croaking, birds chirping and the stream trickling. The sun was out it was warm and wonderful. I could not have asked for a better run.

No comments: