March 8, 2010

I swallowed a rock

Yesterday Mikayla, my 4 1/2 year old, walked up to me with her eyes full of tears and said, "I swallowed a rock and it was purple." I first asked her if she could feel it in her throat and she said no and she could swallow and drink just fine. I said, oh well you will just pooped it out.

Then Dad got involved. Instead of just brushing it off and ignoring the situation (the let's see what happens and what she thinks of on her own approach) he told her that her stomache might hurt and she may feel uncomfortable and then he brought it up through out the day.

Last night we had dinner and Mikayla was very tired and moody. She ate very little at dinner and then she laid down on the couch for a little bit. Shortly there after she started crying and gaging like she was going to throw up so I decided that we should take her to the hospital to get her checked out. I was worried that she would throw up and the rock would come up and choke her.

At the hospital they took an X-ray and there was the rock, sitting in her tummy. They said it was in her small intestines and at this point will just pass right through. So now we are on poop watch and if we don't see it we are going to take her to the hospital late this afternoon for another X-ray to see if it is still there or not.


Jen said...

Scary... keep us posted. I am praying for her and you.

Thank God she told you!

Sherri said...

Oh my goodness....I would have just died.
I am glad she is okay...I hope it all goes well from here on out!

Melissa said...

Oh goodness! My little one swallowed a penny a couple of weeks ago. Xrays and poop patrol are NOT fun!

Stephanie said...

Oh, no! So scary. I hope she poops it out as quickly and painlessly as possible.