November 13, 2008

Whole Wheat Bread Receipe

A few of you asked for my whole wheat bread recipe and yogurt recipe. This recipe is from the back of the yeast packets you buy.

2 3/4 cups flour (I use 1/2 cup of white and the rest wheat)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup water
1/4 cup margarine or butter melted (I have been using about 2 tablespoons of olive oil instead)
1 packet of Active Yeast

First - Dissolve the yeast in hot water (105 to 110 - make sure you measure the temperature of the water first), also add about 1 teaspoon of sugar to the yeast and hot water and stir - the sugar feeds the yeast and helps it rise.

Then I put the salt, oil and some of the flour into the mixer, add the yeast mixture after it has doubled in volume. Start mixing and add the rest of the flour and water. If your dough is too watery add some more flour.

Instead of kneading by hand I put my kneader on the kitchen aid mixer and let it go for about 10 to 20 minutes (depends on if I get busy doing something else.) After the dough is kneaded place the dough in a bowl and cover with a towel. Let the dough rise in a WARM spot (sunny window works great). After the dough has doubled in size punch it down and knead it again and I let it rise another time, and after it has doubled in size again punch it down and knead it into the shape you want. Place the dough on a greased cookie sheet and let it rise one last time.

After the dough has doubled in size for the last time place it in an pre-heated over at 375 and bake for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

Heidi - What was it like to move from the North Pole, Alaska to Las Vegas?? Culture and heat shock I bet!

2 comments:

Laura Marchant said...

Thanks! I am always looking for new recipes.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the yogurt and bread recipes, I will try them!
Yes, it was a shock moving to Las Vegas after living in Alaska for 3 years! I miss the green trees, and landscape, it is desert brown here and too many people! Summer was unbearable to me, maybe by next summer I will be used to it.
I can't wait to move to Colorado!