November 3, 2008

Sprint Triathlon

Yesterday I did my personal triathlon. I was not racing anyone except myself. It was fantastic!!

I did changes things up a little bit. I biked first, ran second and swam third. The reason I did this was that the pool at the college where I was swimming did not open until 3pm and I got both girls down for their afternoon nap at 1:30 so I decided to take advantage nap time to sneak away for 2 hours.

I was worried about the bike ride the most. I have been riding my bike a lot but I have not done more than 6 miles (and even that is broken up) at one time. But the bike ride went great. I was estimating it would take an hour but I beat that time and I finished in 51 minutes! Next was the run.

It was hard transitioning from the bike to running and I also started the run by heading up a steep hill. After about ½ mile I found my groove. As I was running I felt like I was running slower than normal but I wasn’t. I finished the 3 mile run in 33 minutes.

The last section was the swim. Since this was not a real race I took a couple of minutes changing and it took some time to find a lap lane. The pool was BUSY. I finished my 1/4 mile swim in 12 minutes. This was pretty slow and I felt that I was taking it slow but it was also at the end of the triathlon. If I had done the swim first it probably would have taken me 10 minutes instead of 12 but then the run would have taken longer.

Overall I felt great and I was proud of my 96 minutes. Next time I want to shoot for 90 minutes or less!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Great job!! It is awesome that you could get away for 2 hours and complete your sprint tri! Now you are def prepared for the real thing!! Keep up the great work!

Cathy said...

Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

You go girl! Doing it yourself is awesome. Great way to make up your own rules and save yourself a ton of money!