May 23, 2009

Couch to 5K Running Program in 9 Weeks

Since I have started this blog I have had people ask "How did you start running?" This is my normal answer. I have been running for over 10 years now and I started slow. Running 30 seconds and then walking for 30 seconds to a minute, and then repeating that. I also started running very slowly. I eventually worked up to my first mile and I still remember how excited I was when I ran my first mile. I was 19 years old, in the workout room at Western State College, it was my evening workout on a treadmill in front of these huge windows and boy it felt great.

My longest run for many years was the Gothic to Crested Butte race. It was a 1/3 marathon, about 8.75 miles. The first year I did that I trained for it, I ran the whole time and I finished. I was so proud of myself for doing that.

For many years I was stuck in that I was about an 11 minute mile (on a good day) runner. It was not until I started training for a marathon that I finally picked up the pace and miles. Now I can complete a 10 mile run and on my shorter runs I can keep my pace to 10 minute miles or less and I am still working on getting that pace even shorter.

The reason I am telling you this is that you too can become a runner. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE can run. (Unless your doctor told you no or you have horrible knees or something.) I would encourage everyone to give it a try and see if you like it. BUT do not give up after the first run, give it some time and eventually you too will find yourself enjoying the time outside, away from the kids, just you, mother nature and maybe some I-tunes.

Here is a Couch to 5K Running program I found that looks pretty good and was recommend by Active.com. This is from www.coolrunning.com.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Pick out a 5K race that is about 9 to 10 weeks away, start training for it an then go do it.

Here are some other great sources for running.

www.active.com
www.runnersworld.com

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Thanks for sharing your journey to where you are today. I never thought I could/would be a runner, but now I enjoy it...and 5Ks are so fun. They are totally do-able and so inspiring!