March 23, 2009

The Long Bike Ride That Did Not Happen

On Sunday my plan was to go to Crested Butte with the family. Mikayla and Joe would go skiing while Lily and I hung out with a friend. Then on the way home, I would ride my bike while everyone else drove home. Crested Butte is about 30 miles from Gunnison and sits at 8800 feet. This means I would go down to Gunnison which sits at 7700 feet.

I was worried a little bit about the wind as I started out especially when it almost knocked me down but I kept with it hoping and hoping that it would stop. Finally after 11 miles of fighting the wind and fighting to stay on my bike I had Joe stop and I hoped in the truck. As we started heading home we passed a guy on his bike but he was going to Crested Butte so the wind was pushing him instead of going against him. Maybe next time I will ride from Gunnison to Crested Butte instead.

2 comments:

Laura Marchant said...

I give you huge props for just trying it and making it that far! Good for you.

Bonnie said...

I'm glad you decided to get off your bike. That wind can be dangerous on a bike. We went for a hike in Morrison (Dinosaur Ridge) on Sunday and it was really windy up there too.