February 3, 2008

Jaundice

In higher elevations you have to watch out for jaundice. Normally all you need to do to prevent this is to put the newborn in the sun for 20 or so minutes per day. Mikayla was born in May so I would take her outside, take her sleeper off and we would sit in the sun for 20 minutes every day. I would also nurse her in the sun in the early morning.

With Lily being born in January it has been much harder. First I had to find where the sun comes into the house during the day. That was hard because since she has been born we have seen the sun 2 days. It has been snowing every other day since.

I took her to the doctor on Friday and they checked her billirubin levels and she was jaundice. We put her on a billi light blanket (it wraps around her middle) for a day and the levels dropped enough in 24 hours to be done with it. Good thing because it was very ackward.

I could not have asked for a better baby. I am suprised at how well this little one sleeps. I don't mean to brag but she only wakes me up once a night. The night she had the billi blanket she woke up twice. I am waking up more to check on her than she is waking up.

Mikayla is also really good with her sister. She also knows that when I am nursing her I am limited in what I can do for her.

My mom went home today so we will see how the next week goes. I think Mikayla might go to daycare on Monday and Wednesday so I can have some time to get things done (pay bills, blog and sleep!)

No comments: