September 23, 2010

Question - Help Me Please

This is a question for anyone in a hiring position in corporate America.

Should resume's be one page or two?

When I first started creating a resume the standard was one page but now it seems as if it is moving to two pages. I have been under the assumption that two pages in just fine but today at work I was involved in a debate where this person was always instructed to throw away resumes if they were more than one page. So what do you think - 1 or 2?

8 comments:

funderson said...

Geez, I don't know...You're asking the wrong person. Mine is Sharpie on toilet paper...hmmm...this might explain a lot...

Zoƫ said...

I've always been told 1 page, with a 2nd page of reference contacts upon request.

AmyBow said...

i say one two- you only have to show the highights - more than that and it might look like you have bounced around.

Stephanie said...

From the employer's perspective, one page is preferred. Resumes should "highlight" the person's education, experience, character, etc. In my experience...If the employer wants to know more, he/she won't hesitate to ask!

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

Casey said...

I know this doesn't tell you anything about one page or two, but I just read in an article today that you should never go back farther in your work history than 15 years. Not sure if that even applies for you, but figured it can't hurt to know!

Lynn from For Love or Funny said...

I've always heard that one page is best. Best wishes on your job search!

Anonymous said...

I'm a headhunter by profession and most of my clients have a 2 (or 3, shhh!) page resume. One page generally doesn't allow you to highlight your achievements enough. Of course if you are fresh out of college or have minimal work experience one page is fine.

Jennifer said...

I think Mine is Sharpie on toilet paper...hmmm...this might explain a lot, thanx.